Glycyeehiza Glbra (Mulethi)
Botanical name: Glycyeehiza glbra
Common Name: Mulethi, Licorice.
Part used: Root
- Licorice lowers stomach acid levels, relieves heartburn and indigestion and prevents ulcer formation.
- Through its beneficial action on the liver, it increases bile flow and lowers cholesterol levels.
- In the respiratory system, its soothing and healing action reduces irritation and inflammation.
- Licorice enhances immunity by boosting levels of interferon, a key immune system chemical that fights off viruses.
- The phytoestrogens in Licorice have a mild estrogenic effect, making the herb potentially useful in easing certain symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), such as irritability, bloating and breast tenderness.
- Its anti-allergic property is useful in allergic rhinitis, conjunctivitis and bronchial asthma.
- When applied topically, Licorice can be used to fight dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis.