Lagerstroemia Speciosa (Banaba)
Botanical name: Lagerstroemia speciosa
Common Name: Banaba
Part used: All parts of Plant
Phytochemicals: Corosolic Acids
Corosolic Acids 1%-2%
- Roots are used for stomach problems.
- The leaves are used to heal diabetes and for weight loss.The red-orange leaves have high levels of corosolic acid (interpenoid glycoside) that can lower blood sugar.
- Corosolic acid may have an influence on diabetes.
- Banaba also contains concentrations of dietary fiber and minerals such as magnesium and zinc.It helps the body to handle glucose and as such, it's also effective in weight loss.
- The hypoglycemic (blood sugar lowering) effect is similar to that of insulin (which induces glucose transport from the blood into body cells).
- Its tea is therapeutic against ailments such as diabetes and kidney and urinary problems. The taste is pleasant and smooth.
- Banaba leaf preparations have been used as a folk medicine among people with diabetes in the Philippines.
- Certain constituents, such as corosolic acid, have been found to possess hypoglycemic activity.