Botanical name: Withania somnifera
Common Name: Ashwagandha, Withania, Indian Ginseng
Part used: Roots
Phytochemicals: Withaferin A, Withanolide A, Withanolide B, Withanoside IV, 12,
Deoxy Withastramonolide, Withanoside
Category: Memory Support, Stress Management
- Various compounds isolated from Withania Somnifera (trivially named Withanolides) are now being investigated as highly promising and non-toxic anti-tumoral drugs.
- The remarkable immuno-modulating properties of Withania Somnifera (Ashvaganda) are also being clinically investigated.
- Chinese medicine recommends the root in cases of : nervousism, insomnia, weakness, anemia, rheumatic pains, general debility, impotence and infertility among other conditions
- In Ayurveda, Withania somnifera is classified as a rasayana and expected to promote physical and mental health.
- It rejuvenates the body in debilitated conditions and increase longevity.
- It is used as anti stress agent.
- It is claimed that Ashwagandha has been traditionally used to treat various symptoms and conditions.
- It is especially beneficial in stress related disorders such as arthritis, hypertension, diabetes, general debility, etc.
- It shows relaxant and antispasmodic effects against several plasmogens on intestinal, uterine, bronchial, tracheal and blood vascular muscles.
- It is also helpful in hair nourishment and brings about the improvement in hair melanin.Research References